Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Hunting We Will Go (no animals are harmed during this post)

So I have found a new hobby.  If you didn't think I was weird before I am sure you will now.

I grew up in suburban Denver.  Neatly manicured lawns and no leaf litter was the norm.  Now that I live in Georgia where our backyard is a forest (what they call woods here) and leaf litter is more then abundant I have discovered mushroom hunting.  Nope I had NO idea that there was such a thing as mushroom hunting but it is a real thing.  Who knew?  Recently we have been blessed with abundant rain and mushrooms are erupting out of the ground everywhere.  The playschool kids and I went for a walk the other day and  had the greatest time searching for big and little, smooth and rough, red and yellow, white and brown mushrooms.  We had a great time!  I think in the space of two front yards we found over twenty different types of  'shrooms.  Yes I was a little concerned about that whole poisonous aspect but we kept them out of our mouths and we are all still okay.

Together September 2009 013

Together September 2009 027 Together September 2009 033 Together September 2009 071

Together September 2009 088 Together September 2009 092 Together September 2009 077

Together September 2009 074 Together September 2009 070 Together September 2009 047

Together September 2009 055 Together September 2009 090 Together September 2009 028

4 comments:

Julina said...

That's cool! I've never seen a red mushroom before. I bet the kids loved it.

Nicole said...

You are seriously so creative!! Looks like a lot of fun! I should really copy that!

Supershepherds said...

How fun. I want kids, and I want to send them to your preschool.

Amy & Greg said...

HOw fun! Of course the horticulturist takes her kids to go mushrooming! Love the pics!