Ten years ago
I was serving a mission for my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If I remember right I was serving in North Edwards, Boron and Desert Lake California. Never heard of these tiny desert towns? Most people haven't. I however had grown up hearing my mom's stories of Boron California. My Grandfather was mine superintendent at the "famous" 20-mule team Boron Borax mine in the Mojave Desert in California.
I learned a lot about my mom's family from this experience. Although it had been well over 40 years since my mother's family lived in Boron everyone that I found who lived in that area when my mom's family did remembered and had warm feelings for my grandparents and their children. Several times I was told that my Grandfather was the only reason the Borax mine avoided miners strikes for so long. He treated the miners with respect and dignity. Once he left the new management changed things and the mine never was the same. I was also able to meet a couple of my mother's elementary school friends. Each of them said similar things about my mom. Everybody liked Jane she was always kind and helpful to everyone.
What a legacy my grandparents left. So often we feel like the little things we do don't matter, well they do. I hope I can leave such a memorable and positive legacy.
Snacks I enjoy
- Ice Cream
- Good fruit
- Chocolate (especially good dark chocolate)
- Leftovers (most things are better the next day)
Things on my to do list
- Fold laundry (permanatly on the list...it never ends)
- Complete James Federal Student Aid application due April 15th...guess I had better get on that one ;)
- Sort through and store the clothes that Evan and Emma have outgrown.
- Update our blog
- Research treadmills (this is a tough one for me...I am NOT a shopper. I decide I need something, make sure I have the money for it and then I just want to go and get what ever is the most convienient. I've been burned by this addittude before and yet I still hate shopping around. So if you know of a moderately price, reliable treadmill PLEASE let me know.)
- Get some sleep, ha ha thats a good one
What I would do if I suddenly became a billionare
I also echo Heather on this one...tell no one and invest most of it then...
- I would build my dream home. I have it all in my head. If you ask James I am fairly obsessed about planning it all out. I think I am afraid that it will never happen if I don't have all of the details and know how much money we need to save. I would also love to build it before all of the kids are out of the house. I know that gives us a few years but you know how fast the years can fly by.
- Like my sister, I would like to retire mine and James' parents.
- Build a working ranch and adventure camp in Montana or Colorado for children with severe illnesses and their families.
- Hire the Biggest Looser staff to help uncover the fit and thin woman living inside of me.
- Hire a housekeeper so I could be the best homeschool mom ever
Three bad habits
- I am a great starter but a terrible finisher
- I snack a lot in the evening especially when James is at work
- I procrastenate
Five places I have lived
- Atlanta, GA
- Littleton, CO
- Rexburg, ID
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Jerusalem, Israel (does four months of study abroad count?)
Five jobs that I have had
- Mom (the hardest and most fulfilling job I have ever had)
- Grounds Manager at the Atlanta Temple
- Horticulturist at the Salt Lake Temple Square complex
- Horticulturist at Castle Pines golf course in Castle Rock, Colorado
- Sales associate at a Hallmark store (I will never put a card back in the wrong place again)
What people don't know about me
- I love to dance. Every PE requirement in college was filled by a dance class. Too bad I still look and feel like a drunk moose on rollerskates when I dance. I do have to qualify that the kind of dancing I enjoy is the traditional ballroom or country dancing. None of this hip hop dance by yourself stuff.
- I am afraid of close friendships. I don't know what else to say about this one. I wish I could figure it out myself. Please don't let this discourage you. I really am trying to work on it.
- I love design. There is just something about combining colors, textures and forms to make something extraordinary. I would like to get more schooling in landscape design as well as interior design. (PS my house is not at all an indicator of this interest of mine. Unfortunately design takes time, money and being able to decide on a design style)
- I would love to learn about horses. How to care for them. How to ride them, etc. Horses are my favorite animal. They are so strong and majestic.
Thanks Heather for the tag it has been fun thinking about these things.
I now tag Heidi, Deborah, Kristen and Nicole. Can't wait to learn more about you.
2 comments:
You blog it looking great! It's fun to get to know you a little better.
What!!! Tag me!!! I can barley find time to use the restroom between nursing this constantly starving daughter of mine...But, I'll see what I can do!! Thanks a lot! ;)
I love the blog too. Glad you joined the rest of the "Blogspot" Family!!
Post a Comment