Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What a wonderful trip!! More to come later

Why is it that when you live somewhere it is so easy to look past all of the great things about it.  I grew up in the west.  I enjoyed it but it is nothing like returning back there now from Georgia and realizing how much I miss the great big blue skies in the west.  Now don’t get me wrong I adore the woods here in the Southeast but oh those heavenly skies.

IMG_0423 IMG_0453

Well anyway, we had a great trip visiting family in North Dakota, Montana and Colorado.  We had the blessing of being able to celebrate birthdays with two great-grandpas.  We love you Great Grampa Thompson and Great Grampa Pinkerton! 

IMG_0576 IMG_0849

We also went camping and fishing at Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota.  Wow talk about peaceful…well minus the huge lightning and thunderstorm that collapsed the tent in the middle of the night and the 24hr flu bug that traveled around camp.  No really even these bad things really didn’t put a damper on how wonderful it was.

Another highlight was the Peach festival in Palisade, Colorado.  OH MY GOODNESS!  You really have not lived until you have tasted a Palisade peach.  I thought some of these South Carolina peaches were really wonderful, but oh these peaches were heavenly.  The festival was a lot of fun.  We really fell in love with the Palisade/ Grand Junction area.  I am not going to tell you about the smaller town feel with large town conveniences.  Nor am I going to tell you about how friendly everybody was or how beautiful the scenery is.  I am especially not going to tell you about the fantastic orchards and vineyards, the bountiful roadside produce stands and how just about every non tropical fruit thrives there.  No I am not going to tell you these things because I wouldn’t want to convince you to move there and drive up the price of houses before we get there.  Oh and did I mention the temperate winters?  Ya that's what I said, not as cold an snowy as most of the rest of Colorado.  And, and right at the base of  a fantastic canyon with all sorts of outdoor activities.  Nope don’t want you to know about that.

IMG_0604 IMG_0791 IMG_0784

IMG_0779 IMG_0830 IMG_0801 IMG_0745

Oh alright…take a look for your self, www.palisadetourism.com

4 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

Thank you for not telling everyone about how wonderful Grandjunction/Palisade area is. We are actually looking for a job in that area and we don't want the cost of houses to go up anymore their either.

Jenni S said...

We live in Green River, just about 1 hour 20 min away from Grand Junction. That is where we do our big shopping since there is nothing here. It is a nice place. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

The Stewarts said...

Looks like you had a great time! Wish we could have been there!

Supershepherds said...

Looks like an amazing trip. Great pictures.