Per request from one of my friends I will actually write a post about me and not about my darling children (love you Katherine). You might want to be careful what you ask for though.
Several thoughts have been running around my head the last couple of days.
Pajama days and unannounced visitors
So why is it when I have one of those days... (You know the kind I am talking about. The ones where everybody stays in their pajamas all day, there is laundry piled and folded all over the front room, I haven't looked in a mirror and for good reason, the kids have snotty faces) Why is it that on these day unexpected company arrives?
Now I will be the first to tell people I visit that I do not care at all what condition they or their house is in and I really don't. But why is it that I care about what my house looks like when people visit?
Sadly I have pajama days more often then I would like to admit. Now that the kids are getting older there seems to be less of them. But why can I not just accept that I have good days and bad days and hopefully people can understand that.
SO I AM A NERD
Some people have really interesting and amazing hobbies like sky diving, painting, music, hiking...you know what I am talking about.
No, not I. I have really gotten into food storage and emergency preparedness lately. I am sure that part of it stems from now having a family that I have the responsibility to protect and care for. But I have really felt a sense of urgency for at least a year now to get our family more prepared.
I have actually really enjoyed learning more about food storage. Our ward owns a canning machine and so I was able to can about a three months supply of basic food. I am gearing up to finish our years supply in the next couple of weeks. It just feels good to know that if for any reason (and you never know these days) I will be able to put food on our table.
Living vs Existing
So do you ever have those days where you feel like you are just reacting as opposed to acting. For example, my previous comment about pajama days. I feel like I am reacting too much.
One of the areas I would like to improve upon is being more organized and pro active. I have devised a cleaning schedule. If I stay on track I only do a little bit everyday instead of taking a long time just putting out fires before company arrives.
I would also like to have a more organized and educational bonding time with my children ( sorry Katherine you knew they would pop up sooner or later). I realize that some of the most special moments are the ones unplanned. I just feel that I have a responsibility as their mother to be teaching them more and learning how to play with them. It may sound odd that I actually have to put effort into playing but I never have been very good at it. When I was little I would play grown up. Not much of an imagination here. It is funny I don't ever remember playing grown up being so tedious.
I am realizing that just about all educational and entertaining activities create a lot of work for mom. If anybody knows of any activities that do not create a lot of extra work please let me know. Television does not count.
Motivating Change
I would really like to be one of those people who once they recognize a fault in themselves they just change it. No wailing or gnashing of teeth as they choose to do what is right and not what they really want to do. James is this way. No wonder I love and admire him so.
Boy that "natural man" sure has a strong hold on me. I really fight change. Oh why is it so hard to just give in a do what I need to. Then I wouldn't feel guilty all of the time. I need to go to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and exercise and try to get some spirituality in my life. I need to change eating habits so I can resolve and avoid medical problems. You would think ones health would be motivating force alone. Oh no, not for me. Urgh..I am just getting myself frustrated. You get my gist. Any suggestions are welcome.
9 comments:
You are a dream...and I loved reading about YOU! And I even enjoyed the part about your little people. loves!
Yes, just one suggestion: give yourself a break! We love you. And, good grief, we all have crap we need to change. It takes a life-time.
Also, congrats on the food storage! That is a serious accomplishment. Your neighbors will be glad you are their neighbors.
My house always looks like your occasional PJ Day house. These kids will stop making messes someday, right?
I'm glad you are back in my life.
You're wise to set back food. A "9/11" is headed our way that will make the original look like a car accident, and you'll thank God you have the foods. (Remember to get a water filter!)
Read Paul Williams' "The Day of Islam". He proves that Al Qaeda has nukes. They bought them from rogue Russians. At least 2 have already been smuggled into the US via Mexico.
More details at http://www.internet-grocer.net/nukes.htm
God bless!
Bruce
I totally understand how you feel about all that stuff. I'm the same way. Just remember that children are learning all the time, especially while their playing. Lincoln logs, legos, blocks--anything like that are great learning tools because you can show them about adding, subtracting, patterns, colors, shapes, etc. Mya loves hers. She also enjoys doing file folder games. You can find them online for free and all you have to do is print, cut and paste. I like to get them laminated, too. That way they last longer.
I love that you have been so motivated to get your food storage put together. I would love any advice you have for me and would also like to know what kinds of things you have in your storage. I have been wanting to do better at that, too. We probably have about a 3 month supply of food right now, but I would like to get it up to a year. I am short on some things. Anyway, have a great day!
We love you guys!!!!
Ok...Bruce...thanks for totally freaking me out! ;) As for you my dear Elizabeth, you are among good company. WE all have pajama days and think we need to be better at things. FOr instance, my blood pressure went up when you talked about food storage...I need to get better at that! ;) Love you. PS. you are a nerd! But, aren't we all! ;)
Also, I have to learn how to "play" too! I mean isn't blogging while you kids watch cartoons "Playing". Just teasing!
Definitely go easy on yourself. We as women are WAY too hard on ourselves. Someone once told me that I can worry about my house being perfect in five years, once my kids are all in school and I actually have some time to do those kinds of things.
For now, I have just made it a goal to have my house clean. It may be a mess, but at least it's not filthy. For example, at least you have CLEAN clothes piled and folded on your couch! And your living room may be messy, but the carpet has been vacuumed within the last couple of days. Like I said....go easy on yourself. The rest will come with time.
I so love your honesty and reflection. It's great to read your thoughts. Some of them sounded exactly like me. Are you reading my mind? Thanks for sharing.... :)
i love it! i'm so glad i tracked you down! email me; i need to know where you are and what you're up to. bekahgeorge@gmail.com
Awesome! CAn you help me with my food storage? Yikes! I am feeling the urgency, too.
Post a Comment